Cha gio - Fried spring rolls
When thinking of Vietnamese cuisine, fried spring rolls would probably belong to the three top of mind dishes. The filling is very variable. You can use minced pork, or go for a vegetarian version. One of the vegetables used often in Vietnam is a corm of taro, Colocasia.
Mix all ingredients except the last 3 items.
Moisten rice paper with your wet palm, put the mix on a piece of rice paper and wrap.
Heat up oil in a wok on a medium heat and fry rolls from both sides until golden brown (10-15 min).
Serve with fresh herbs and dipping sauce.
For 10 pieces:
- 20 dkg fresh shrimps - minced
- 1 carrot - grated
- handful fresh wood ear mushrooms finely chopped (or 10g dried ones, soaked in hot water)
- handful grated white cabbage
- handful mung sprouts
- 20g thin rice noodles soaked in water for 10 minutes
- 2 shallots finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 10 pcs rice paper
- fresh herbs like mint, coriander, purple perilla, Thai basil
- Nuoc cham dipping sauce
Authentic tools needed: