White cabbage curry
Another recipe from the range of Sri Lankan curries. This time the main ingredient is white cabbage, which I considered as quite boring vegetable, until I tried this recipe of course ;)
Mix all ingredients and cook on a small fire 13-16 minutes covered. To get the cabbage soft, but still crunchy.
Serve with rice and other Sri Lankan curries.
In Sri Lanka from time to time added a few potatoes (cleaned and cut into wedges) and Jackfruit seeds. Both were cooked together with cabbage and spices.
Video contains subtitles.
For 4 portions:
- 1 small white cabbage head, cut on stirps
- 1 red onion, cut on strips
- 3 green chili peppers chopped
- piece of Maldive fish, cut on fine noodles (optional)
- 1/2 tsp fenugreek (optional)
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 curry powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder (if you don`t like it spicy, better put less or none)
- 8 curry leaves
- 1 pandan leaf torn on 3 cm pieces (optional)
- home made coconut milk (150 ml) or a small can of coconut milk with water added, 150 ml volume to be reached
Authentic tools needed:
- clay pot
- coconut scraper